Fair skin is a blessing and it’s ok to have a tan once in a while if you just want to try a new look or are preparing for some occasion. A fair skinned female with a tan look rather more attractive at times. Though, there are many questions that you may have like what’s the best tanning lotion for fair skin, is it safe, how to apply it. We’ve covered it all in this guide.
Tanning is the process of making your skin darker.The basis of how a person’s skin looks is all due to a pigment called melanin, it is responsible for how dark or fair your skin, iris and hair are. When you apply a tanning lotion, the lotion works on your skin by giving it a matte effect. A natural way is by just taking a sunbath but it can also fireback and that’s why you need a tanning lotion.
What precautions to take before applying tanning lotion for fair skin?
- Use SPF: SPF means Sun protection factor and it is a measure of how well a sunscreen will protect your fair skin from the harmful effects of sunrays. Since you have a fair skin, you need to use an SPF 30. Using a tan over a sunscreen won’t impact the benefits of using a tanning lotion. Check out the Best Outdoor tanning lotions.
- Prepare your skin slowly: If this is your first time then you can get excited and soak your body in the sun for hours. This way, you can burn your skin and even destroy the pigments of your skin. You just need to spend 15-20 minutes in the sun which will prepare your skin for application of tanning lotion.
- Soak Sun at the right time: UVA rays are very strong between 10 am to 4 PM. So this is the time you should avoid taking sun. Instead you can either soak sun early in the morning or during evening hours. Not only will the sun be strong then but you can spend time better and it’s better for your skin.
- Take breaks between tanning: Since you have fair skin, its not advisable to tan everyday. If you do it everyday, the sunrays will eventually cause sunburns and the tan won’t be much effective so take breaks between your tanning cycle.
- Moisturize daily: Sun will most likely take away a lot of your moisture and so its important to always use a moisturizer even if you don’t apply a tanning lotion.
- Stay Hydrated: This is a golden rule and again whether you are tanning or not. Staying hydrated is a very important thing to do for the well being of your fair skin.
Do I have fair skin?
It is important for you to know your skin type before application of any type of lotion or cream on your skin. As per FDA(Food and Drug Administration), skin has been put in 6 different categories. Learn here more. Although there’s one more way to know your skin type as per Von Luschan’s chromatic scale but the FDA approved types work totally fine. We have put down a brief for every skin type:
- Type I: Pale White, burns but doesn’t tan
- Type II: White to Light Beige, burns and tans a little
- Type III: Beige, burns and tans gradually
- Type IV: Light Brown, burns a little and tans well
- Type V: Moderate Brown, doesn’t really burns and tans well
- Type VI: Dark Brown or Black, doesn’t burn and tans a lot
Are there any special concerns for tanning for fair-skinned people?
It goes without saying that fair skin men and women have to be careful while choosing to tan their skin. This is because fair skin complexion does not contain melanin which protects the skin from damage caused by sun rays. Lack of melanin makes the skin look pale. So if your skin has less amount of melanin the most people you might be more prone to side effects of tanning related concerns.
But, is fair skin necessarily sensitive?
No, fair skin complexion is not necessarily sensitive. Let me break it to you how fair skin and sensitive skin at two different things.
Every skin type can be sensitive and it’s not just the fair skin. The sensitivity of your skin is often determined by genetics and not the skin tone. Thus, having fair skin tone does not imply that you might have sensitive skin.
This shows that not all tanning lotions for fair skin are suitable for you if you have sensitive skin as well. Likewise, not all tanning lotions for sensitive skin aren’t for fair skin tone men and women. Does that make sense to you? No? Then read the last two lines again. In case you want to try an indoor tanning lotion, that can also work great for you.
What is tanning lotion?
Tanning is a process that makes the skin darker and gives a bronzy look. It is usually during beach vacations when people tan their body.
What should I look for in tanning lotion for fair skin?
Skincare routine for fair skin should never be neglected even while tanning. There are a few factors that you should always have in mind.
- SPF – Most of the tanning lotion in the market do not come with SPF. This means these tanning lotions do not have a sun-blocking capacity. So if you are a fair-skinned person sun protection is crucial for you.
- Moisturizer – All the 10 best tanning lotions for fair skin that I have reviewed come with a unique set of ingredients like coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, shea butter, vitamin E, etc that keep your skin moisturizing and hydrated. It is important to keep your skin hydrated during and after the tanning process.
- Maui Island Secret Browning Formula
- Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
- Australian Gold Smooth Faces Facial Intensifier Tanning Lotion
- Ocean Potion Dark Tanning Intensifier Lotion
- Devoted Creation Blonde Obsession Lotion
- Australian Gold SPF 30
- St. Tropez Lotion
- Millenium Lotion
- Somewhere on beach
- Jwoww Australian Gold